Day 2


The work went a bit better today. I still cringe when I look at the drawings.
Though clearly I have more control over my brushes, it is exactly there that I also miss the mark. In aiming at control I have made these drawings rather rigid, two-dimensional and almost entirely without humor. One problem is the acrylic paint. It is ruthless, relentless and immovable. When you put a mark on this paper the acrylic is sucked up by it and there is no possibility of pushing things around at all. I will go tonight to Utrecht and buy myself some watercolors in tubes. Lisa is such a great model; these drawing look nothing whatsoever like her

I did go down to Utrecht tonight to buy watercolors and they are better than the acrylic for doing this work, but it’s tricky. I suspect that I was blaming the tools when my own skill or control seemed unavailable. Nevertheless, I like the sensuous quality of the watercolors more, though the colors themselves are not as bright as the acrylics and with the watercolors I have a much more limited palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment